lichess.org
Donate

best middlegames books for 2000 elo

Did you ever read any chess book to get where you are?
Euwe, Bronstein, Keres, Kotov, really any books by the masters of the mid-twentieth century are reliably good.
More recently, IM John Watson has written some outstanding works. GM Eingorn as well.
Nimzowitsch is more controversial and some argue outdated, but I still love My System.
Let's see:
Pachman is a classic. Gelfer has a good book , most of it is MG to EG, and 'Isolani Strategy' is good on IQPs. Sokolov has a good book on IQPs, double IQPs and hanging pawns.

Those are the ones I have and like. I think there will be updates/revisions/improvements of Pachman's book out there too.
Bill
@Jose_mena_123

Collections of games played and annotated by the authors themselves. I would prefer the classic books because the ideas in their games are easier for the reader to understand.

For example, the big ABC:
Alekhine, Botvinnik, Capablanca
@Hitsugaya said in #2:
> Did you ever read any chess book to get where you are?
Yes, but I have been mainly watching videos and, right now, I'm feeling stuck because i lack middlegame understanding.
@Jose_mena_123 said in #7:
> Yes, but I have been mainly watching videos and, right now, I'm feeling stuck because i lack middlegame understanding.

I'm curious though what is the most useful book you read?

For my part it is My System my first chess book and Play winning chess but they might not be advanced enough for you.

I picked up Sacrifice and Initiative from Ivan Sokolov recently, I heard very good things about it, I'm only at the very beginning but I feel at 2000 lichess elo it's pretty good.
@Hitsugaya said in #8:
> I'm curious though what is the most useful book you read?
>
> For my part it is My System my first chess book and Play winning chess but they might not be advanced enough for you.
>
> I picked up Sacrifice and Initiative from Ivan Sokolov recently, I heard very good things about it, I'm only at the very beginning but I feel at 2000 lichess elo it's pretty good.
mastering chess strategy is an amazing book

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.